Saturday, September 15, 2018. That’s the day! National Sew A Jelly Roll Day 2018 – or NSAJRD 2!
While there is still plenty of time to pick a project. And a Jelly Roll. We could pick the Jelly Roll first but a few of us already know what we’ll be making on the 3rd Saturday in September. We’re making a Jelly Roll Rug!
They’re amazing and We. Want. One.
The pattern is by Roma Lambson of RJ Designs – Jelly Roll Rug.
After the huge popularity of this oval rug, Roma designed a rectangular rug that is a bit easier to make, especially for beginning Jelly Rollers and Rug Makers. It’s Jelly Roll Rug 2.
There was a Jelly Roll Rug-along earlier this year on Instagram and social media, and some of the rugs made were spectacular.
And because every Beach Road needs a Jelly Roll rug…
The materials required to make a rug are:
- The Jelly Roll Rug pattern of your choice – the Original or JRR 2
- 1 Moda Jelly Roll with 42 strips – 2.5″ x 42″ wof
- 2 rolls of pre-cut batting – 2.5″ x 25 yards or 1 roll of pre-cut batting – 2.25″ x 50 yards (While the pattern calls for 2.5″ wide strips, folks in the know have told us that the narrower 2.25″ strips are much easier to use.)
- 2 medium-sized spools of a neutral thread or 1 really big spool of a neutral thread
- binding clips
- sewing machine that can do a zig-zag stitch
If you decide to cut your own batting strips, you’ll also need WonderTape or a fusible tape to join the strips without overlapping them.
The only other thing needed to make a Jelly Roll Rug is time. Maybe a Saturday sewing with friends?
Saturday, September 15, 2018. It’s a date!